Spinach and feta is a winning combination in my opinion and I love to use these ingredients as a filling for pastries or flat bread. Normally I make spinach and feta pastries with filo pastry but I didn't have any in the fridge so I decided to make some shortcrust pastry and make little pasties instead. The result was delicious and I definitely think I will be making these again!
For the pastry:
a few tablespoons of water
For the filling:
Bag of spinach
block of feta cheese
1) Make the pastry by rubbing the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
2) Add a few tablespoons of cold water and mix until the mixture forms a dough.
3) Make the filling. Fry the onion in a frying pan.
4) Add the spinach and cook for a few minutes until it has wilted.
5) Take the pan off the heat and stir in the feta and seasonings.
6) Roll the dough, cut out circles and place on a baking tray.
7) Spoon the filling onto half the circle.
8) Fold the pastry in half to cover the filling and pinch the edge together.
9) Brush over some milk and put in the oven to bake for 20-30 minutes.
This is what they looked like when I took them out of the oven...
This is what they look like inside. Yum!